“Devotions From the Heart”
One of the most beautiful and strengthening attributes of God to His people is His sovereignty and providence in our lives from the smallest detail to the largest event. Faith in Christ means a total and complete trust of Him in everything that is and will be in our lives. Reading and studying God’s Word brings knowledge and that knowledge lights our path in faith and trust that He loves and cares for us in every detail. As we read this statement by Loraine Boettner in his summary of the Reformed Doctrine of Election, be encouraged and inspired to walk in power of this knowledge in a practical way of love and service to the glory of God for He has chosen and elected YOU!
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.” Eph. 1:3-7
~ ~ ~
SUMMARY OF THE REFORMED DOCTRINE OF ELECTION
- Election is a sovereign free act of God, through which He determines who shall be made heirs of heaven.
- The elective decree was made in eternity.
- The elective decree contemplates the race as already fallen.
- The elect are brought from a state of sin and into a state of blessedness and happiness.
- Election is personal determining what particular individuals shall be saved.
- Election includes both means and ends,—election to eternal life includes election to righteous living here in this world.
- The elective decree is made effective by the efficient work of the Holy Spirit, who works when, and where, and how He pleases.
- God’s common grace would incline all men to good if not resisted.
- The elective decree leaves others who are not elected—others who suffer the just consequences of their sin.
- Some men are permitted to follow the evil which they freely choose, to their own destruction.
- God, in His sovereignty, could regenerate all men if He chose to do so.
- The Judge of all the earth will do right, and will extend His saving grace to multitudes who are undeserving.
- Election is not based on foreseen faith or good works, but only on God’s sovereign good pleasure.
- Much the larger portion of the human race has been elected to life.
- All of those dying in infancy are among the elect.
- There has also been an election of individuals and of nations to external and temporal favors and privileges—an election which falls short of salvation.
- The doctrine of election is repeatedly taught and emphasized throughout the Scriptures.
Excerpt from the original series on God’s Sovereignty, TheologyGirl-ReformedWomen
Editor & Publisher – “Heavenly Notes 2001-2015”